The following article is a timeline of the Ace Attorney universe.
It is important to note that the years used in this timeline are mostly based on the full date given on a DL-6 Incident case summary file, all other events being portrayed as being relative to other dates as opposed to having a definite point of occurrence. The murder of Gregory Edgeworth is recorded as having occurred on December 28, 2001. By the statute of limitations an unsolved case is closed permanently 15 years after its opening, putting the final resolution of the incident at December 28, 2016. From this, it is possible to construct a timeline of the Ace Attorney universe.
The developers of the Ace Attorney games, in particular the people in charge of putting down the ages of characters in court records, have not paid much attention to any absolute timeline. This is evident in the fact that characters' ages do not change as the game progresses (except during "flashback" cases), even when a new year passes by. This has led to some inconsistencies in character birthdates. This timeline treats the "present" timeline of an individual game as a "year" (much like school terms that straddle the new year), which resolves some of these issues. More information on this can be found here.
Since the organizer profiles of Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth and Gyakuten Kenji 2 fit with corresponding court record profiles in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, the 2018-2019 "year" used in Trials and Tribulations is used for the purpose of birth years in these games.
The timeline itself follows. Please note that some of these dates are extrapolations (e.g. "two weeks after Phoenix Wright's disbarment" becomes "May 13") and may not be exactly correct. Nonetheless, it's unlikely that the "true" dates will be pinned down.
- c. 2000 BC: Lang Zi of Zheng Fa spreads his philosophy of detainment through his country and starts an international network of connections.
- Unknown: First known use of what is now known as the Kurain Channeling Technique by Ami Fey.
- September 4, 1781: Los Angeles is founded. *
- 1818: Lordly Tailor is established.
- 1869: The modern Los Angeles police department is established. *
- Early 1900s: The first "De Killer" appears.
- 1923: Interpol is established.
- 1940-1: Bruto Cadaverini is born.
- 1946-7: Quercus Alba is born.
- 1950-1: Victor Kudo and Bansai Ichiyanagi are born.
- 1951: Manfred von Karma is born.
- 1951-2: Damon Gant is born.
- 1952: Marvin Grossberg and Magnifi Gramarye are born.
- 1956-7: Zinc Lablanc is born.
- 1958: Deid Mann and Tyrell Badd are born.
- 1958-9: Otome Itami is born.
- 1960-1: Teikun Ō is born.
- 1961: Issei Tenkai is born.
- 1961-2: Paul Holic is born.
- 1964: Winston Payne and Yanni Yogi are born.
- 1964: Yutaka Kazami is born.
- 1965-6: Russell Berry is born.
- 1966: Gregory Edgeworth is born.
- 1967-8: Ernest Amano is born.
- 1968: Robert Hammond is born.
- 1968-9: Colin Devorae is born.
- 1970: Misty Fey and Winfred Kitaki are born.
- 1970-1: Kane Bullard and Bikini are born.
- 1971: Byrne Faraday is born.
- 1971-2: Moe is born.
- 1973-4: Joe Darke is born.
- 1974: Drew Misham is born.
- 1976: Manfred von Karma begins his "perfect" prosecutor career.
- 1976-7: Furio Tigre is born.
- 1977: Redd White and Ryūji Kamei are born.
- 1979: Jack Hammer, Shadi Enigmar and Mack Rell are born.
- 1979-80: Jean Armstrong is born.
- 1980: Frank Sahwit, Guy Eldoon and Pal Meraktis are born.
- 1980-1: Bruce Goodman is born.
- 1981-2: Colias Palaeno and Marī Miwa are born.
- 1982: Dee Vasquez, Valant Gramarye and Tateyuki Shigaraki are born.
- 1982-3: Turner Grey is born.
- 1983-4: Jake Marshall is born.
- 1984: Sal Manella, Plum Kitaki and Tsukasa Oyashiki are born.
- 1984-5: Luke Atmey is born.
- 1985-6: Diego Armando, Angel Starr and Tsubasa Kagome are born.
- 1986: Dick Gumshoe and Thalassa Gramarye are born.
- 1986-7: Benjamin Woodman is born.
- 1987: Terry Fawles is born.
- Sept. 6: Dustin Prince is born.
- 1987-8: Lana Skye, Manny Coachen and Shūji Orinaka are born.
- 1988: Neil Marshall is born.
- 1989: Mia Fey, Valerie Hawthorne and Shih-na are born.
- 1989-90: Jacques Portsman, Buddy Faith and Ka-Shi Nou are born.
- 1990: Spark Brushel is born.
- 1990-1: Glen Elg and Akbey Hicks are born.
- 1991: Romein LeTouse is born.
- 1991-2: Ken Dingling, Doug Swallow and Shi-Long Lang are born.
- 1992: Miles Edgeworth and Phoenix Wright are born.
- 1992-3: Hakari Mikagami is born.
- 1993: Larry Butz, April May, Will Powers, Dahlia Hawthorne and Iris are born.
- 1993-4: Viola Cadaverini is born.
- 1994: Cindy Stone, Lotta Hart and Kristoph Gavin are born.
- 1994-5: Adrian Andrews, Mike Meekins, Rhoda Teneiro, Cammy Meele, Manosuke Naitō and Sōta Sarushiro are born.
- 1995-6: Maggey Byrde, Richard Wellington, Sean Dingling, Ron DeLite and Desirée DeLite are born.
- 1996-7: Ini Miney, Billy Bob Johns, Matt Engarde and Juan Corrida are born.
- 1997: Berry Big Circus opens.
- 1997-8: Lance Amano and Tōko Mutō are born.
- 1998-9: Mikiko Hayami is born.
- 1999: Franziska von Karma, Maya Fey and Penny Nichols are born.
- 1999-2000: Lauren Devorae is born.
- December 24, 2000: The IS-7 Incident occurs; Isaku Hyōdō is killed. Ryōken Hōinbō finds the abandoned Sōta Sarushiro and Manosuke Naitō, brings them to the Happy Family Home orphanage.
- 2000-2001: Ema Skye is born.
- 2001: Kay Faraday is born. Phoenix Wright's class trial occurs.
- December 28: Trial of Issei Tenkai for the IS-7 Incident; the DL-6 Incident occurs; Gregory Edgeworth is killed and Manfred von Karma takes a vacation.
- 2001-2: Regina Berry and Yumihiko Ichiyanagi are born. Tateyuki Shigaraki takes over Edgeworth Law Offices.
- 2002: Klavier Gavin and Daryan Crescend are born.
- June: Manfred von Karma returns from his vacation.
- 2003-4: Thalassa Gramarye marries her first husband.
- 2004: Apollo Justice and Wesley Stickler are born. Yutaka Kazami returns from Zheng Fa, becomes world-renowned pastry chef.
- 2004-5: Thalassa Gramarye's first husband dies.
- 2005: Olga Orly and Alita Tiala are born.
- 2005-2006: Ami Aizawa becomes pregnant with Teikun Ō's child at the Zheng Fa Embassy, quits her job at the Happy Family Home orphanage and Marī Miwa becomes the director.
- 2006-7: Shimon Aizawa is born. Teikun Ō visits Los Angeles again. Ō acknowledged Aizawa as his son and entrusted his will to Dai-Long Lang.
- 2007: Wocky Kitaki and Vera Misham are born.
- February 10: The SS-5 Incident occurs. Teikun Ō is assassinated by Ryōken Hōinbō and replaced by his body double who staged his kidnapping. Ryūji Kamei is killed.
- Dahlia Hawthorne steals a diamond from her father and fakes a kidnapping. She goes missing on Dusky Bridge and is presumed dead. Terry Fawles is arrested and convicted for her apparent murder.
- Trial of Marī Miwa for the SS-5 Incident. Sōta Sarushiro runs away from the Happy Family Home orphanage. Manosuke Naitō identified as the true heir to Paul Holic, receives his belongings. Dai-Long Lang withdraws from police work.
- 2007-9:: Bansai Ichiyanagi retires as a Chief Prosecutor and accepts the position of Prosecutorial Investigation Committee Chairman. Happy Family orphanage is closed down.
- 2008-9: The KG-8 Incident occurs.
- 2009: Cody Hackins and Manfred von Karma's granddaughter are born. Colin Devorae is arrested and sent to prison.
- 2009-10: Pearl Fey is born.
- 2011: Trucy Enigmar is born. Dee Vasquez joins Global Studios. Manuel is killed and his murder is covered up.
- 2012: Machi Tobaye is born. Franziska becomes a prosecutor in Germany.
- February: Valerie Hawthorne is killed
- February 16: Trial of Terry Fawles. Miles Edgeworth and Mia Fey make their court debut. Fawles commits suicide.
- August 27: Dahlia Hawthorne poisons Diego Armando, who goes into a coma. Phoenix Wright meets Hawthorne, who plants the poison on Wright to ward off suspicion.
- April 9, 2013: Doug Swallow is killed.
- 2013-2014: The three-day trial limit is implemented, resulting in what is now known as the initial trial court system.
- 2014: Ami Aizawa dies, Shimon adopted by her cousin Hakari Mikagami. Shimon starts his child actor career.
- September: The SL-9 Incident occurs and is investigated by police force
- 2014-2016: At Bansai Ichiyanagi's recommendation, Marī Miwa becomes the director of the prison and detention center. Ryōken Hōinbō is prosecuted by Miles Edgeworth and sent to solitary confinment in prison.
- February 19, 2015: The last victim of SL-9, Neil Marshall, is murdered. Soon after that, Joe Darke is convicted and sentenced to death.
- 2015-2016: Celeste Inpax commits suicide.
- Thalassa Gramarye disappears.
- May 2: A malpractice incident at the Grey Surgical Clinic kills 14 patients.
- May 24: Ini Miney dies in a car accident, and her sister Mimi is hospitalized at the Hotti Clinic. Mimi fools the surgeons into reconstructing her face as Ini's face, and lives Ini's life.
- July 31: Frank Sahwit kills Cindy Stone.
- August 3: Phoenix Wright makes his court debut in the trial of Larry Butz.
- September 5: Redd White kills Mia Fey.
- September 7: Trial of Maya Fey in Mia Fey's murder.
- September 9: Trial of Phoenix Wright in Mia Fey's murder.
- October 15: Jack Hammer is killed.
- October 18-20: Trial of Will Powers.
- December: "Ini Miney" is released from hospital.
- 25: Robert Hammond is killed.
- 26-28: Trial of Miles Edgeworth in the murder of Robert Hammond.
- 28: Trial of Miles Edgeworth for the DL-6 Incident.
- Trés Bien is established.
- February 21: Bruce Goodman is killed.
- February 22-25: Trial of Lana Skye.
- Miles Edgeworth leaves the prosecutor's office.
- March: Maggey Byrde starts dating Dustin Prince.
- March 20: Max Galactica joins the Berry Big Circus.
- June: Léon the lion attacks Bat at the Berry Big Circus. Bat goes into a coma, and Acro loses use of his legs. Léon is put down by Russell Berry.
- June 19: Turner Grey is murdered.
- June 20-22: Trial of Maya Fey in Turner Grey's murder. Franziska von Karma travels to the United States to battle Phoenix Wright in this trial. Ini Miney is revealed to be dead and Mimi Miney is alive. Franziska von Karma suffers her first ever defeat in court. Morgan Fey is revealed to have aided Miney in the murder plot and is incarcerated in Solitary Cell 13.
- September 6: Dustin Prince is killed.
- September 8: Trial of Maggey Byrde in Dustin Prince's murder.
- December 26: Phoenix Wright and Maya Fey take Pearl Fey on a trip to Berry Big Circus where they witness Max Galactica's "flying" magic trick.
- December 27: Russell Berry is murdered.
- December 28-30: Trial of Max Galactica.
- December 30-31: Miles Edgeworth returns to the United States.
- February: The Pink Princess: Warrior of Little Olde Tokyo is concluded.
- March 20: Juan Corrida is killed during the Hero of Heroes Grand Prix.
- March 21: Miles Edgeworth returns to the prosecutor's office.
- March 21-23: Trial of Matt Engarde. The prosecutor, Franziska von Karma, is shot by Shelly de Killer before the trial, and Miles Edgeworth takes her place.
- Miles Edgeworth leaves Los Angeles to work and study abroad. The Gatewater Group begins construction of Gatewater Land.
- Big Tower is constructed near the vacant ruins of the Happy Family Home orphanage.
- September: Viola Cadaverini is involved in a car accident and is hospitalized.
- October* 11-13: Trial of Ron DeLite for stealing the Sacred Urn.
- October* 14: Trial of Luke Atmey for stealing the Sacred Urn. Trial of Ron DeLite for Kane Bullard's murder.
- December 3: Glen Elg is killed.
- December 4: Trial of Maggey Byrde in Glen Elg's murder.
- January: Dahlia Hawthorne is executed for the murder of Doug Swallow.
- Gatewater Land is completed.
- February 6: Oh! Cult! releases its February 2019 issue.
- February 7: Misty Fey is killed.
- February 7-10: Trial of Iris. Miles Edgeworth temporarily takes over the case for Phoenix Wright while he is hospitalized.
- Miles Edgeworth goes on a one-month overseas trip.
- March 12: Akbey Hicks is killed. Miles Edgeworth returns from his trip.
- March 13: Colin Devorae is killed.
- March 14: Buddy Faith is killed. Manny Coachen and Ka-Shi Nou are killed.
- March 15: Quercus Alba is removed from his position as ambassador of Allebahst.
- March 17: Trial of Quercus Alba for the murder of Manny Coachen. Trial of Ernest Amano for actions concerning the death of Colin Devorae.
- March 24: Trial of Quercus Alba in Cohdopia for the murder of Ka-Shi Nou.
- March 25: Attempted assassination of president Teikun Ō of Zheng Fa during a speech at Gourd Lake. Gai Tojiro is killed.
- March 27: Manosuke Naitō is killed
- April: Issei Tenkai's mansion is renovated as the 12 Constellations Art Gallery.
- April 2: Yutaka Kazami is poisoned.
- April 4: Kay Faraday is kidnapped. Tsubasa Kagome is killed. Teikun Ō is killed.
- April 5: Miles Edgeworth resigns.
- April 6: The body of Teikun Ō is found at a Global Studios film lot.
- April 8: Miles Edgeworth is reinstated as a prosecutor.
- April 13: Magnifi Gramarye commits suicide. Valant Gramarye rigs the scene to frame Shadi Enigmar, now known as Zak Gramarye.
- April 19: Trial of Shadi Enigmar. Phoenix Wright is disbarred for presenting forged evidence. Enigmar disappears from the courtroom before the verdict is read.
- May 13: Phoenix Wright adopts Trucy Enigmar.
- January: Guy Eldoon takes over his father's noodle stand.
- December: A Rivale shoots Wocky Kitaki. Pal Meraktis fails to remove the bullet but tells the Kitakis that the surgery was a success.
- April: Romein LeTouse becomes Lamiroir's manager.
- June 15-17: Trial of Wocky Kitaki.
- July 7: Romein LeTouse is killed.
- July 7-10: Trial of Machi Tobaye.
- October 6: Drew Misham is killed.
- October 7-9: Trial of Vera Misham.
- October 8: Misham is hospitalized after unknowingly ingesting atroquinine that was on her fingernail polish.
- October 10: Misham wakes up, having survived the atroquinine poisoning. (In the hung jury ending of Turnabout Succession, she dies.)
- Phoenix Wright regains his attorney's badge, and begins taking cases again.