|This article contains information about Ace Attorney media that has been|
recently released and thus likely contains spoilers!
|manual of style when adding information.
Readers of this page should be aware that this article likely contains MAJOR SPOILERS concerning the media in question.
You have been warned!
|We need more pieces to finish this puzzle.|
|This article is under construction. While it is not short, it still needs expansion as outlined in the manual of style. The article most likely needs expansion near the end of the tagged section or sections.|
|Rayfa Padma Khura'in||Image Gallery|
|Rayfa Padma Khura'in|
|Link to the template page|
|Occupation||Crown Princess of Khura'in|
|Names in other languages|
|Japanese* (romanization written with the given name first)||レイファ・パドマ・クライン (Reifa Padoma Kurain)|
|Reckoned birth year(s) (this is for age comparison purposes, and so may look odd; click on the question mark for details)?||2013-2014|
|Deduced birthday range||Dec. 24, 2013|
|Documented age range (as recorded in court record profiles and case files)||14* (age at debut)|
|Status* (last known)||Alive|
|Height* (from official guidebooks)||4'10"; 148 cm|
|Family||Dhurke Sahdmadhi (father; deceased) |
Amara Sigatar Khura'in (mother and undercover personal aid)
Nahyuta Sahdmadhi (brother)
Inga Karkhuul Khura'in (uncle; deceased)
Ga'ran Sigatar Khura'in (aunt)
|Affiliates||Khura'in (homeland) |
Phoenix Wright (foreign defense attorney)
Apollo Justice (defense attorney)
Ahlbi Ur'gaid (former defendant)
|Japanese* (romanization written with the given name first)||Saori Hayami|
|Debut episode||The Foreign Turnabout|
|Leitmotif||"Rayfa Padma Khura'in ~ The Unyielding Medium Princess"* (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice)|
|Rayfa Padma Khura'in|
|Here in Khura'in, my power of Spirit Communion reveals all we need to know.|
The foreign attorneyEdit
- Main article: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
- Main article: The Foreign Turnabout
During the trial of Ahlbi Ur'gaid, foreign defense attorney Phoenix Wright objected to the guilty verdict. She was soon prompted to perform the Divination Séance, which she claimed was all that was needed to be known. However Wright found inconsistencies between what was shown and the evidence, ultimately resulting in Ur'gaid's guilty verdict being overturned. Shocked and somewhat panicked, she insisted she could not be wrong and arguing with the judge over letting the trial continue or not, eventually resorting to insults to his faith. She was ordered to leave due to her disruptiveness, which she did while cursing Wright the whole way with various torments in the Twilight Realm.
Overseeing Wright's investigationEdit
- Main article: The Rite of Turnabout
About a week later, she accompanied Wright in his investigation of Tahrust Inmee's death, to make sure he was not up to anything illegal. She quickly proved to be bitter after her embarrassment in court, being extremely quick to take offense throughout the investigation and eager to insult Wright for any reason she could think of. However, once in the trial it was shown she had learned to deal with defeat more gracefully, remaining relatively calm after Wright disproved her next Insights, staying in court long enough for the murder of Rheel Neh'mu to be discovered-and that he was an assassin carrying out the will of her father. Horrified and upset by the revelation that Inga was willing to sponsor murderers and that the Divination Seance was not a perfect system by any means, Rafya left the trial in a depressed haze, no longer sure of herself, her nation, or her moral convictions.
A family lostEdit
- Main article: Turnabout Revolution
A week after Maya Fey's trial, her father Inga Karkhuul Khura'in is murdered by her mother Ga'ran Sigatar Khura'in. Rayfa is shown a picture of Amara holding a baby that appears to be Rayfa, and finds out that her real mother and father are revealed to be Amara Sigatar Khura'in and Dhurke Sahdmadhi respectively. Rayfa was taken into care by Ga'ran and Inga as an infant when they recaptured Queen Amara when she ran away with Dhurke Sahdmadhi, and Rayfa was used to blackmail Nahyuta and Queen Amara into doing Ga'ran's bidding. This also makes Nahyuta Sahdmadhi her brother and Apollo Justice (technically) her adoptive brother. Following the forced abdication of her aunt, she becomes the next Queen, with Nahyuta Sahdmadhi as regent until she can properly channel spirits.
When first encountered, Rayfa has an extremely aloof personality, especially when faced with defense attorneys. She believes, as much of Khura'in does, that her powers make her infallible when passing judgment on accused defendants. This has given her a somewhat overinflated view of herself and an arrogant disposition, growing impatient with trials that require more than the Divination Seance and becoming irritable when contradicted or her "imperfections" (namely her lack of omniscience or her liking of things seen as immature) are brought up. As shown by her less-than-proper reaction to the first time her Insight was truly contradicted, she is not used to being proven wrong or told off for her ego, and when upset can become extremely petty and immature. She regards crime, especially that which insults her country, as a blasphemous personal affront. She also has an extremely dark sense of humor, once remarking that the heavily-armed bailiff of the court would "be happy to oblige [Wright] with a bullet or two" as a "souvenir" (implying, of course, that said bullets would be lodged in Wright's body, he having been shot).
That being said, Rayfa is genuinely mature for her age, soon learning to swallow her pride after making a scene at Ur'gaid's trial. She takes her responsibilities extremely seriously and is always trying to live up to her own and others expectations of her, and in fact a lot of her outbursts can be traced back to her belief she must come off as infallible. When not trying to be the mystic princess, she has a far more casual and emotional personality, even a bit playful at times. She also has an extensive vocabulary, but sometimes runs out of flowery language she knows, leading her to stutter and awkwardly invoke far simpler language to finish her sentences. Despite her imperious personality, she is underconfident and high-strung, becoming depressed when she fails in even the most subjective way (getting an Insight partially wrong, or allowing Ur'gaid to strike up a friendship with a defense attorney) due to Ga'ran's cold and aloof parenting style combined with her lack of any degree of love for her niece causing her to develop a complex. This culminates in a full-scale nervous breakdown after Inga's death and she being asked to perform a Divination Seance on him (and after Ga'ran revealed her true parentage and threatened her with exposure), leaving her to publicly wonder if she should even become queen given her self-declared incompetence. With the encouragement of Wright and Justice, however, she broke free of her aunt's malevolent influence and developed the ability to accept partial success and minor failures, as well as not being the sole voice of truth in trials.
- Her middle name, "Padma", is one of the names given to Nelumbo nucifera, a species of lotus that plays a central role in Indian religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism.
- Rayfa's hairstyle was designed to be reminiscent of the shaman queen Himiko, with the hair loops also being meant to resemble the Holy Mother's halo, as well as the hairsyles of Maya Fey and Pearl Fey.
- Her staff was modeled after the Buddhist khakkhara, while the bells on her wrists are based on Japanese suzu bells, whose sound is associated with spiritual power. The ribbon between her arms is meant to make her resemble the butterflies that carry the souls of the departed to the Twilight Realm in Khura'inism.
- Rayfa is one of only four characters in the Ace Attorney games to have a known birth date. The only other characters to have a known birth date are Dustin Prince, an unseen and unnamed relative of one of Shi-Long Lang's subordinates, and Paul Atishon.
- ↑ ”レイファ１４歳、アウチ５６歳、ボクト９歳 新システムは動画とレイファの言葉の矛盾探し、動画の流れ覚えないとむずかしいかも。” ほそぼそ on Twitter. Retrieved on 2015-09-30.
- ↑ Brina Palencia on Twitter.
- ↑ L~A. "Gyakuten Saiban 6 (3DS) teased in Famitsu, playable at TGS". Court Records Forums. Retrieved on 2015-09-01.
- ↑ "【先出し週刊ファミ通】シリーズ最新作となる『逆転裁判6』が発表！（2015年9月3日発売号）". Famitsu. Retrieved on 2015-09-01.
- ↑ Bolt Storm. "Ace Attorney 6 in Famitsu 9/3/15 - full scans". Court Records Forums. Retrieved on 2015-09-02.
- ↑ Bolt2nd. "[Subbed!] Ace Attorney 6 - TGS 2015 Trailer". YouTube. Retrieved on 2015-09-18.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Hsu, Janet. "Ace Trivia: Smorgasbord of Justice". Capcom Unity. Retrieved on 2016-09-02.