Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Machi Tobaye||Image Gallery||Sprite Gallery|
|We need more pieces to finish this puzzle.|
|This article is under construction. While it is not short, it still needs expansion as outlined in the manual of style. The article most likely needs expansion near the end of the tagged section or sections.|
|...I thank you. I... only lie. But you see truth! You find... truth.|
Tobaye was an orphan until he met Lamiroir and they began to perform together, with Tobaye accompanying Lamiroir on piano. Lamiroir herself was blind, but Tobaye pretended instead to be the blind one in order to preserve her image as a singer of "sight-seeing music".
- Main article: Turnabout Serenade
Tobaye was involved in the smuggling of a Borginian cocoon to Los Angeles with Detective Daryan Crescend at the request of the Chief Justice, whose son was inflicted with incuritis. Lamiroir and Tobaye were to perform in a concert for the Gavinners, of which Crescend was a member. However, during the second segment of the concert, Interpol agent Romein LeTouse confronted Crescend. In the ensuing struggle, Crescend stole LeTouse's .45-caliber pistol and shot him in the shoulder.
Crescend then told Tobaye (via headset) to press a switch to ignite an inflammatory device inside Klavier Gavin's guitar, in which the cocoon had been hidden. During the third segment of the concert, Apollo Justice and Ema Skye heard what they believed were gunshots, though they were actually firecrackers, and found LeTouse, who died of blood loss soon after. During the investigation, the body disappeared, only to be found at the pedestal with an unconscious Tobaye. Tobaye was arrested and tried for the murder. Justice took on Tobaye's defense, and eventually revealed the smuggling plot involving Crescend and Tobaye. With no decisive evidence linking Crescend to the murder, Justice convinced Tobaye to admit to his involvement in the smuggling so that he would be tried in an American court and avoid the death penalty, the punishment for Borginian cocoon smuggling in his homeland.
Machi Tobaye is generally fairly quiet and withdrawn as a person, although this may have been at least in part due to being in a foreign land where he was not fluent in the language.
- His Japanese given name, "Maki", when written as a kanji character, can mean "roll" (like a roll of paper or a sushi roll, but not like a bakery roll) or occasionally "Chinese black pine".
- His full Japanese name could be a mis-romanization derivative of the Finnish name "Matti Tolvanen".
- His English name comes from his Japanese one, presumably to make it sound foreign.
- "Kashkash" comes from "cache-cache", the French term for "hide and seek".
- His pendant is meant to be in the shape of the hiragana "ma" (ま).
- Tobaye is the only defendant in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney to not appear during the epilogue/credits.